Home | Timeline | Men's Info | Personal_ Calendar |Baby_ Names | Health | Genetics | Weight Gain | Picture_Gallery | Books | Shopping(USA) | Shopping(UK) |MultiplesPregnancy_ Loss | Forum | Disclaimer | FAQs

 

 

men,pregnancy,babies,due date calculator,baby names,miscarriage symptoms,sex during pregnancy,fertility,fetal development,pregnancy,weight gain in pregnancy,Rhesus disease,blood inheritance.

Calculators... 

Due Date Calculators

Weight Gain Calculator

Ovulation Calculator

Most Popular... 

Baby's Week-by-Week Development

Baby's Development in Pictures

Baby Names Database

Sexual Relations During Pregnancy

Pregnancy Hormones

The Role of the b-HCG Hormone

Becoming Pregnant (How it all happens)

 

Navigation.... 

Home Page
Information Zone
Health Issues
Timeline
Archive
Pictures and Photos
Shopping_USA
Shopping_UK
Book Reviews
Interactive Zone     

 

 

Personalized Children's Books. Click here!  

 

 

 

Click for a FREE DNA Testing Kit

 

Rhesus Incompatibility Disease 

(Rh Disease)

 

 

What is Rh Disease and what causes it?

 

Everyone is born with a specific blood type and an RH factor.  For example you may have blood type "A" with an Rh factor of "positive" (A+). This blood typing stays with you for life.

 

For full details on blood types, please see the article on Blood Typing.  

 

In 85% of people, the Rhesus Factor is positive (Rh+).  For the other 15%, the Rh

factor is negative (Rh-).

 

If a woman has Rh negative blood and the man has Rh positive blood, then it is possible for problems to arise.  

 

Note: Rh Disease can only occur in women that have Rh Negative blood.

 

Note: If both the mother and baby are Rh negative, then there is no risk.

 

Note: If both the mother and natural father are Rh negative, then there is no risk because the child must also be Rh negative. However, most doctors prefer to presume that all Rh negative women are at risk and will treat her accordingly.

 

If an Rh negative woman has a baby that is Rh positive, then it is possible for some of the baby's blood to enter into her system.  This can happen under several circumstances:

If the baby's Rh positive blood enters a mother who is Rh Negative, then her immune system sees the cells as 'incompatible' or 'foreign' and will subsequently produce anti-rhesus antibodies to try to destroy them for her own self-protection.

 

This may not seem like a big problem, however, if she has another pregnancy where the baby is Rh positive, then these antibodies that have formed will pass into the baby's bloodstream via the placenta and attack the red blood cells of the baby.

 

Once these naturally created anti-rhesus antibodies are present in the mother's bloodstream, they will remain for life in the same way as antibodies for other chicken pox for example.

 

1. What is Rh Disease and what causes it?

2. How can Rh Disease be prevented?

3. What are the treatments for Rh Disease?

 

 

 

 

Info Zones... 

Men

Pregnancy

BabyNames

Health

Galleries

Books

Shopping(USA)

Shopping(UK)

Archive

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Home | Men_ &_ Pregnancy | Timeline | Personal_ Calendar | Baby_ Names | Health | Genetics | Books | Pregnancy_ Loss | Multiple_Pregnancies | Forum  | Gallery | Shopping(USA) | Shopping(UK) | Disclaimer | Privacy_ Policy | Glossary | FAQs  

All information provided on this web site is for the purpose of education, information & discussion only and is not a replacement or substitute for consultations with your medical practitioner.  If you have ANY concerns about your health, please see your doctor immediately and do not rely solely on information found here or anywhere else on the internet.